Friday, 27 June 2014

what was I thinking?


I suffer regret regarding the majority of purchases I've made.
Across a lifetime.
Expensive or inconsequential.
Big and small.

The worst offenders: mink coat (in my 20s!), precious jewelry (only a few
items), assorted automobiles, a condominium, furniture (all of it),
Wedgewood china, many many items of designer clothes/shoes/bags,
various trips abroad...

Truly, a case of what was I thinking?

Daniel Gilbert seems to have it right.
Humans aren't good at predicting our future selves.

And it seems to be, that I am irrefutably bad at it.


6 comments:

anexactinglife.com said...

So true about predicting our future selves. I must read Dan Gilbert's book!

Gam Kau said...

ExactingL - Dan Gilbert has good thoughts to share. Unfortunately, I make a very good example of a person who is unable to predict my future self. Just yesterday I was mulling how I feel very settled in my own skin at the moment. And, for goodness sake, I should know better!

pao said...

Why bother with regrets...? or predicting our future selves...
hmmm? What about now?

Gam Kau said...

Ahh, Pao, yes, therein lies my struggle. Focusing on now rather than before or after.

Yuko Jones said...

I was just watching the tiny house movie last night and that made me want to get rid of everything and live in a tiny house of my own! I guess it's not that practical when I have two little kids running around all the time :) I'm not good at predicting my future self, but I have sure learned from my past mistakes! ox

Gam Kau said...

I'm going to watch the tiny house movie this weekend Yuko. I don't aspire to live in one, but find the tiny house movement inspiring. At least some of the population is able to step out of the marketing culture.
Well, I feel a strong disconnect when looking backwards - almost like I was a completely different person. I guess, in a way I was. But someone once told me looking back from 20s to teens there is a giant gap, but looking back from 30s to 20s, less so, and so on. But that hasn't held true for me! I still find looking back even a decade very disconcerting and wonder what on earth I was thinking. Maybe I keep learning and changing - if I frame it that way maybe it isn't so bad. But still...a mink coat?! I can't believe I ever owned one. I would be aghast to own one now. So strange...